Friday, February 1, 2013

Alternative fitness, part 2.

Just a few more of my experiences in the never ending quest to keep myself motivated to continue lifting and working towards getting fit, instead of being one of those girls on the treadmill or elliptical focused solely on being skinny.

You'll notice that the activities I seek out are generally physical activities.  I do other stuff, like go to the movies, archery range, hit happy hours with friends and go to the gun range. Not in that order, but you get my drift, right?  These are my fitness related activities.


1. Rock Climbing -  I love Rock Climbing, but its pretty rough on the hands.  Supposedly, a lot of women stay away from rock climbing because they think they lack the upper body strength needed for it.  However, according to the guy who taught me how to belay, women are better rock climbers because they use their legs, which what you're supposed to do.  Unfortunately, I rock climb like a guy... all upper body.  I typically leave the rock gym with sore biceps, triceps, shoulders and back. 

2.  Pole Fitness - Pole is a lot of fun, once you get past the pole burn, which is not fun.  However, this turned out to be a better workout than I expected.  Pole is actually a full body workout,  I left my first class feeling sore from head to toe.  The focus on improved flexibility is also a nice plus.  Unfortunately, the school I was attending didn't really seem to have a curriculum, and all class were drop ins.  So one week I might be the most inexperienced girl in the class, which meant I learned a TON of stuff, and the next weeks, I might be the most experienced girl in class which meant I spent the class working on basics moves I already know.  Couple that with the pole studio being about 40 min away, and I haven't been pole-ed in a while.

Since its only a matter of time before someone asks me about Zumba, I guess I should take a moment to address Zumba.  I, personally, am not a fan of Zumba  for *ME*, I don't find it challenging and have never so much as broken a sweat in Zumba.  I think Zumba is a great place to start if you don't already have a fitness routine.  For the first year or so of your workout, I think its a great cardio workout to supplement a lifting routine.  However, as far as I know Zumba doesn't have levels, and at some point you're going to need to switch it up, or leave Zumba behind because it won't be as much of challenge, for you.  

For those of you who are hard core Zumba lovers, I want you to look around the next time you're in class.  You'll see a lot of the same women who've been coming to Zumba week after week. How much of a difference do you see in their bodies? Do you see any women who look the way you want to? If so, ask them about their workout routines, I guarantee they do a lot more than just attend a few Zumba classes.  The same goes for all fitness classes.  Your workout needs to be dynamic and well rounded.  Don't just rely on a class for your fitness needs, and don't be afraid to try something harder.

On the list still to try (but not available locally that I know of) are Parkour, Flying trapeze, Adult gymnastics, Salsa dance, and maybe a martial arts class, but I want to find one that's practical for a short woman.  I'm thinking about trying Krav, Muy Thai, or Ninpo, but at the moment my schedule's a little too full.  So we'll see...

The quest continues,
Candydiva04

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Hot Sonakshi Sinha, Car Price in India