Friday, March 22, 2013

Healthy cooking ideas

So what you may or may not know about me is that I love to cook, but typcially I like recipes with lots of fat, butter, sugar, etc.  Recently, I've come to terms with my new healthy lifestyle and the fact that I need to start finding healthier ways to cook my favorite foods.


On Thursday RR had a bunch of teeth pulled which means he's due for a long few days of apple sauce, jello, and soup.  So on wednesday night I decide to make him a last meal that's a little more memorable than our standard baked chicken and broccoli.   So I perused a website my Sister in law recommended and decided the Cajun Chicken recipe would be an appropriately yummy "last meal".  I gotta say I didn't love all the chopping, but would DEFINITELY make this again.




Cajun Chicken


Cajun Chicken Pasta on the Lighter Side
Skinnytaste.com
Servings: 5 • Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups • Old Points: 6 pts • Points+: 8 pts
Calories: 323.8 • Fat: 6.2 g • Protein: 25.9 g • Carb: 44.1 g • Fiber: 6.3 g • Sugar:3.2 g
Sodium: 126.5 mg (without salt)  


Ingredients:
  • 8 ounces uncooked linguine (I used Barilla Whole Wheat Penne)
  • 1 pound chicken breast strips
  • 1-2 tsp Cajun seasoning (or to taste) (I used creole seasoning, and added some crushed red pepper, perhaps a bit too much because it is SPICY!!)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1 medium yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • 1/2 red onion, sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 medium tomatoes, diced
  • 1 cup fat free low sodium chicken broth
  • 1/3 cup skim milk
  • 1 tbsp flour
  • 3 tbsp light cream cheese
  • fresh cracked pepper
  • 2 scallions, chopped
  • salt to taste
  • Smart Balance cooking spray 

Directions:


  • Prep all your vegetables. In a small blender make a slurry by combining milk, flour and cream cheese. Set aside. 
  • Season chicken generously with Cajun seasoning, garlic powder and salt.
  • Prepare pasta in salted water according to package directions.
  • Heat a large heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; spray with cooking spray and add half of the chicken. Sauté 5 to 6 minutes or until done, set aside on a plate and repeat with the remaining chicken. Set aside.  
  • Add olive oil to the skillet and reduce to medium; add bell peppers, onions, and garlic to skillet, sauté 3-4 minutes.
  • Add mushrooms and tomatoes and sauté 3-4 more minutes or until vegetables are tender. Season with 1/4 tsp salt, garlic powder and fresh cracked pepper to taste.
  • Reduce heat to medium-low; add chicken broth and pour in slurry stirring about 2 minutes.
  • Return chicken to skillet; adjust salt and Cajun seasoning to taste, cook another minute or two until hot, then add linguine; toss well to coat. Top with chopped scallions and enjoy!
Makes 7 1/2 cups.

I'm also currently toying with an idea for a healthier eggs benedict after seeing a (full fat) Martha Stewart Recipe for  Steamed artichokes and smoked salmon.  I mean how pretty is that?!?!  I'm not big on smoked salmon, but I bet it'd be equally yummy with some lean ham and a lighter hollandaise sauce.  But I'll have to wait until RR can eat solid foods again. :-/

Happy Friday,
Candydiva04

4 comments:

Ms. Jackson said...

Ooh that pasta looks good!

Heather Adamson said...

looks delicious! greek yoghurt would also be nice as a substitute for the cream cheese :)

Candydiva04 said...

Heather that's such a great idea. I'll definitely try that next time I make this. RR gave me a serious side eye for using cream cheese, low fat or notnot

The Perfect Gift |Exploring the World of Unique and Meaningful Gifts said...

Health is the most expensive possessions the human,thank you.
http://bit.ly/Z3nP5M

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Hot Sonakshi Sinha, Car Price in India